Glacier National Park Information

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player



Montana has four fairly large international airports at Billings, Great Falls, Missoula and the Flathead Valley, Kalispell. If you fly into Billings or Great Falls, you’ll have to make other arrangements to get to Glacier. From Billings it’s 463 miles to Kallispell and from Great Falls it’s 229 miles.


Montana has three interstate highways: Interstate 15 runs north and south, just to the east of Glacier National Park; Interstate 90 runs northwest and southeast across two-thirds of the state; and interstate 94 connects Billings with eastern Montana.

To get to Glacier, take highway 35 or 83 north until you hit Columbia Fall, take a right on highway 2 to West Glacier . You can continue on Highway 2 to get to Two Medicine. To Get to East Glacier take the Going-to-the-Sun Road (subject to weather and open during summer months open) or highway 2 into highway 89.


Eagle Transit (406) 758-5728
Eagle Transit is Kallispell’s city bus. Call for schedules and route information.

Rimrock Trailways (800) 255-7655

Ricmrock serves more than 60 Montana communities, including Whitefish, Great Falls, and Missoula. It also connects to points served by Greyhound lines along I-90, including Missoula, Boazeman and Billings.


Amtrak’s Empire Buiilder provides east and west passenger service across northern Montana, making stoprs in Libby, Whitefish, West Glacier, Essex, Browning, Cut Bank, Shelby, Havre, Malta, Glasglow, and Wolf Point. The terminuses are Chicago on the east and Portland and Seattle to the west. Most boardsings and deboardings occur at Whitefish.

(800) 872-7245


Glacier National Park provides a free shuttle along the Going-to-the-Sun Road. This shuttle stops at trailheads and points of interest, making it easy to hike in through one trail and hike out another without worrying about getting back to your car.




The two closest international airports are Calgary International, a three hour drive away from Waterton, or Kalispell, Montana which is 3.5 hours away. The nearest regional aiport is Lethbridge County Airpot, a 1.5 hours drive away from Waterton townsite.


Coming from Calgary

The Fastest Route
Take highway south 2 to Fort MacLeod (183 km/115 mi.). From Fort MacLeod, go West on Highway 3 (50 km/31 mi.). Head south through Pincher Creek on Highway 6 (56 km/35 mi.).

The Scenic Route
Take highway 2 south (64 km/40 mi.) and go West on highway 7. Take highway 7 to Black Diamond (27 km/17 mi.) and head south on highway 22 (131 km/81 mi.). Head east on highway 3 until Pincher Creek and go south on highway 6 for 56 km.

Coming from Glacier National Park

From Kalispell

Summer Route

Take highway 2 to West Glacier (33 mi.54km/) and over the Going-to-the-Sun road to St. Mary (50 mi./80km). Head North on Highway 89 and take the Chief Mountain Border crossing (27mi./44km). Take highway 6 north (22km/14mi) and go west on highway 5 to Waterton (10km/6mi).

Year Round Route

Take highway 2 through Flathead National Forest to East Glacier Village (87 mi./140km). Head North on Highway 49 (12 mi./19km) to highway 89. Take highway 89 to Carway border (37 mi./60km). From the Carway border, head north on Alberta highway 2 to Cardston (25km/15 mi.). Head West on highway 5 to Waterton (55km /34 mi.).


There is a Greyhound Bus station in Pincher Creek. (403) 627-2716



Another way to experience both parks is to utilize Glacier Park Inc.'s historic red buses. The red buses offer tours and a shuttle service. The shuttle from Waterton to Glacier starts at the Prince of Wales hotel and runs along East Glacier. Prices run between $10-$50, children under 12 are half price.

Customs and Immigration

As of June 1, 2009, a new American law known as the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) requires U.S. citizens 16 years of age or over who re-enter the United States by land and sea to have a passport or other appropriate secure document like a NEXUS card or Enhanced Drivers License.

Children age 18 and under will be able to enter with proof of citizenship. Verbal claims of citizenship and identity alone will not be sufficient to establish identity and citizenship for entry into the United States.

Visitors from other countries must have a passport to enter Canada.